Tuesday, November 15, 2016

On Bridget: (Part 1, I assume)


Today, while perched on a rock wall on Cornell campus, I had an elementarily enlightening conversation about Bridget's many communication tics with Elizabeth. Elizabeth was able to give me a lot of valuable clues about Bridget's growth factors, but also reaffirmed by omission my suspicion that deconstructing the enigma of Bridget is bound to be a tedious process.
The night is now old and Bridget has broken down crying in a resurgence of many regrets that I unfortunately cannot comprehend fully because I wasn't entirely listening, so a more detailed deconstruction of Bridget's many vices will be a later entry. A few themes I have extracted follow:
  • Being treated less legitimately as a woman
  • A childhood of being ignored
  • Self-fulfilling communication techniques that make people treat her in a way that fuels the need for defense mechanisms
  • An inability to either listen to or remember the sentiments of others, or a complicated blend of both
  • Living in a place that is not culturally diverse (not sure about the details of her residences)
  • Being white


I am also forced to wonder how exceptional this current situation is--Elizabeth breaking down the ways in which Bridget's communication styles are damaging, and if this has been a long time coming and has erupted on the second day of this trip out of coincidence or triggering, or if my presence (and possibly illuminating input) has been a catalyst to incite this intervention.

Engraver

No comments:

Post a Comment