Monday, September 21, 2015

Let's Do My Musical

Last week I made the first move.

With an inspirational muttering to myself (something like "let's improvise") I walked up to Trisha Todd after class and told her the entire deal. I was a nervous mess so all the points were out of order, but the information I relayed was as follows:

  • I am currently writing the libretto, lyrics, and music for a musical
  • I think it's good
  • I'm almost finished
  • I want you to help me edit/finish it
  • I want it performed at Grant
What is the first step?

It was hard because I was asking so many things of her at once: I was asking her to trust that it actually was good, I was asking her to commit to helping me even before she saw any of the project, and I was asking her to either produce it on the Grant stage or reject me (either option being a whole lot of work).

I was very proud of myself for on-the-spot coming up with my actual question: What is the first step. It made this project seem a lot more manageable to just start with the first baby step, I'm sure for the both of us.

Todd told me to show her a summary and play some of the music. It was awesome. If everything works out, we'll get this baby done and in the process become best friends forever. The future looks good.

Engraver

No comments:

Post a Comment